Storyboard and Map
Closeup Colonel George Crook
Closeup of Storyboard
"The remains of 95 unknown
Confederate soldiers from the Battle of
Lewisburg, fought May 23, 1862, lie in
the cross-shaped common grave. It
has a vertical length 80 feet long and a
cross arm of 40 feet long, with an
overall width of 10 feet.
Colonel George Crook of the 3rd Ohio
Brigade would not permit the
Southern sympathizers to bury their
own dead, and thus they were
originally laid out in the Old Stone
Church and later placed in a trench
along the south wall of the church
without ceremony. It wasn't until after
the war that the remains of the 95
Confederate dead were removed from the churchyard and interred in this
cross-shaped mass grave.
The bronze marker, which serves as a headstone, was provided by the
Federal Government and erected on November 13, 1956."
Map on Storyboard.