The Cemetery as seen from the south side, in the parking area.
Battle of Lewisburg
23 May 1862
The 3rd Provisional Ohio Brigade's
camp was on this hill. The Confederate
artillery opened the battle at 5 a.m.
with a bombardment of the Federal camp.
Remains of 95 unknown Confederate soldiers who fought in
the Battle of Lewisburg on 23 May 1862 lie in this cross-
shaped common grave. It has an upright 80 feet long and
cross arms of 40 feet. After the Civil War the unclaimed
dead were removed from the Lewisburg Cemetery and reburied
in this common grave. The bronze marker which serves as a
headstone was provided by the Federal Government on 13